Monday, July 2, 2007

The Octopus Whisperer

So just to update you all on some of the way cool stuff I've been doing. Seems like things are falling right into place. Today we went tagging/releasing octopus at one of our sites.
We found one female with her clutch of egg sacks in the den. As we attempted to capture her, I noticed a peculiar object out of the corner of my eye. One of the eggs had just hatched! In fact, we found that upon agitation - all the eggs began hatching! We even caught some on video, which we plan to put on YouTube (we'll post the link). I've even got one video of an egg hatching into a baby octopus, who then chose to reside on my hand for a few minutes. Then Peter and I, as all good octopus mothers do, protected our brood from ensuing fish predators until they were in the safe confines of their original den. What a job!!! To think....they actually pay me for this.

The Full Moon Party.....What a blast! I had always heard these things were fun, but I really had no idea. There were fire dancers, a reggae band, a parade, guys walking around on stilts - the whole shebang. I'm also pretty sure I caught a glimpse of "Dancing Pete". I cannot be absolutely certain, for it's sort of like seeing Elvis, Bigfoot, or even a UFO. Nobody believes you when you tell them. Oh well, call me crazy. And the rum drinks, whatever they're called, with the glow sticks in them. It was sort of like being at a rave (Pete's parents translation: party with glow sticks), but with RUM!!!! Anybody that gets down here should definitely go to one of those. We polished up the night with a quick stop at the Safari Lounge (aka-Dead Animal Bar). If you've never been there, they have a sort of ring toss game that all the people play. While I feel that this novice was as good as anyone that tried, Pete excelled at this game like no other. With one eyebrow raised, he entered an almost zen-like state. I've never seen anything quite like it. The guy was money...every time. Good times...good times. Now I'm looking forward to Sombrero Beach and 4th of July fireworks. To be continued.....

No comments: