Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Catching the Kraken

18 July, Two Thousand and Seven:
As we cast off today and left the harbor, I felt a sense of foreboding, as if some evil were awaiting us. Of course, our goal today was to capture the legendary creature of yore, the mythical Kraken. TJ claims to have spotted it earlier in the summer, lying await in a crevice, its cold, evil eyes glowing in the darkness. And so we returned to the waters of Mount Trashmore 1, seeking the vile beast in its lair. As we rounded the cape of Long Key and headed West, into an uncertain future, I set my brow and squinted into the noonday sun, haunted by my thoughts of what lay ahead of us. I looked over at TJ and saw that he was similarly preoccupied. Would we live to see the sun go down this day?
Some hours later, after an epic battle of several minutes, I succeeded at last in chasing the Kraken from its lair with my tickle stick. As it fled my stick I managed somehow to gather its massive bulk in my net and lift it from the water. I had captured the Kraken. I swam the vile beast over to TJ to show him. Upon spotting this massive octopus, TJ's eyes went wide and he nearly soiled himself. We took the beast, now restrained, back to the Argus for tagging. Although I regretted taking the evil creature onto the Argus for any time period, lest its evil anoint the timbers of the ship, causing years of bad luck, sterility for our goats, and hives.
Quickly we tagged the beast and released it back to its lair to live another day, attacking ships, crabs, and lobsters. T'was a good day to be alive - we conquered the beast, lived to see another day, and had cookies awaiting us back on the ship. A good day indeed!

No comments: